Tuesday, October 12, 2010


Ok. So this week has been a crazy one! Its transfer week and crazy things are happening. We have some great investigators and some crazy people that were teaching too.

 Last night was one of the craziest ever. We were having a great day. Had a really good district meeting in the morning after our studies. We went out for lunch at the mall and had a great time. Elder Saunders and I worked really hard the rest of the day. We parked our bikes at the beginning of a street and were going to go tracting but just kind of started walking down the street. The road came to a fork and we sat there for a second and decided that we should go left. We walked down a couple of houses and then decided to knock this one house. We knocked and a lady answered. We talked for a bit and started teaching her the restoration. Then she asked us to come in and sit down. So we went a little more into the restoration. Towards the end of the lesson I got a really strong prompting to commit her to baptism (keep in mind this is the first time we met her) I said " as you come to know these things are true will you follow the example of your savior Jesus Christ and be baptized by one holding the proper Priesthood authority?". She looked at us for a second and asked "how can I know to come if these things are true?" I realized we hadn't taught her about prayer. So we did and she agreed to be baptized if she knew it was true. I was like HOLY COW... did that just work? 

 I also have another thing that happed. My companion and I were thirsty and we decided to go to this gas station that has fountain drinks any size 59 cents. We went in and got our pops and walked up to the teller. He rung us up and we said thank you and started walking away. We were almost at the door and the guy said "hey how can I get a Book of Mormon, and can you guys come over and we can talk about it?" again I was like DOOOO WHAAAAA???? So we went back and started talking to him and found out he tried to get a Book of Mormon from the web site but never had the courage to go through with it. We said hey any time anywhere we can drop off a Book of Mormon and talk with you about it. So we have an appointment with him later today.

 The thing that has built my testimony up about these two experiences is prayer. Elder Saunders and I decided to pray with real intent to get a baptism this month. President has promised us that if we pray and are faithful we will get at least one a month. So this month we are trying it and its working! I don’t know if we will get a baptism but those people weren’t just put in our path for no reason.

 So back to our crazy night last night. Elder Saunders and I have been working hard and riding bikes like crazy people. Last night after our dinner with the Davis family we had to travel down to kinda the other side of our area. We were running a few minutes ahead so we decided just to take it easy as we were riding and not kill ourselves to get there. We were traveling down 22nd street and all was well. It was a slight hill which was nice so we could just coast. I was about 20 yards behind my companion and all of the sudden he looked back to make sure I was still behind him and then he hit a pot hole and crashed crazy hard.

 I was like oh no this is not going to be good. Sure enough I got up to him and it wasn't pretty. He was knocked unconscious and was scraped up pretty bad. I rolled him over and pulled him up on to the driveway closest to us. I put my back pack under his head and took the towel out of my bag and started to take care of his cuts. Luckily we are in the same area that our zone leaders are and so I called them and got them out of their dinner appointment and had them come and pick us up. While I was dealing with my companion that was now starting to regain consciousness and yelling - waking up the whole neighborhood - people started coming out and trying to help. It was nice to have a community that was so willing to help but I had to keep telling people to not call an ambulance.

 We sat there for about 20 minutes while the zone leaders came and we rushed him to the emergency room. We got him there and they checked him out and let him chill in the waiting room for a while. Man he's like a mean drunk. As he was coming too he started saying out loud that " all the people in the waiting room were a bunch of hypochondriacs and he was the only one that really needed help" It was so funny but kinda embarrassing. I got to go back with him and help with info and paper work. All that really did for me is solidify how much I hate hospitals.

 We were there for about 4 hours from like 7:40 till almost 1 at night. It was crazy. Lucky for him he got to sleep in past morning workout and studies and stuff but I had to be up at 630..

 He broke his elbow and he also broke his cheek bone. We just found out about an hour ago that he is going to have to go home for at least 12 weeks for surgery and physical therapy. It’s a sad day. But things happen and life goes on. I also got to give him a blessing which is my first one so that’s pretty cool.

 Hey Mom happy birthday by the way! What are your plans for your very special day?

 Thanks everyone that wrote me this week! There were so many it was awesome! I don’t have enough time to email all of you back but if you send me your addresses then I will write you some letters with the rest of my P-day. Thank you all for the support and love! It really means so much when times are tough to come here and listen to the words of my family!

We are moving this Saturday so I will let you all know what my new address is next week because I can’t remember it haha. BUT it’s a sweet place. Three story 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 bath town house and its going to be a nice change from the pit we live in now... oh wait just got a call that I’m getting transferred... POOP!!!

Till next week
Elder Yukish

1 comment:

  1. Joanne,
    Sounds like Jordan is having a great time on his mission. That is crazy about his companion. I am glad he will be ok. Looking at all the pictures on here makes me want to visit all the church sites. I hope he does well in the cold. I look forward to reading more about his mission :)