Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Week 2 - Canton, OH

Wow OK! So what a week! It flew by!  One minute I was sitting here in the library and now I'm in the library again!

I'm so happy to hear from so many people this week! I love the encouragement that all of my family gives me!

So here is my first return and report. My investigator from last week. I committed him to baptism and he rejected. But that's OK he had a lot of really good concerns. So this week we are planning on addressing all of his concerns that we didn't get to last week. He felt more comfortable with the things we explained to him but he still needed to find his testimony of the Book of Mormon and that this is the True Church!

As an answer to my prayer and twelve and a half hours of tracting we did last week, we found a few more investigators. One guy wants to have his whole apartment complex have a Book of Mormon study class on Tuesday mornings. We taught them this morning and there were a lot of people interested! It’s amazing! So basically we have a pool of potential investigators to work with. We've also tracted into a few people to work with.

Our ward mission leader is like a super star!  It’s very weird to me to be involved in Ward Counsel Meetings.  I guess I'm just not used to the Stake President looking at me on equal ground. It’s awesome to be there though because it really helps out with our missionary work and the direction that the ward is going with their ward mission plan. I feel so much more in the loop.

Yesterday, Monday the 13th, we went to the Johnson Farm, which is the other historical site here in Ohio. We got to go in the Johnson home where the Prophet had been. We were in the room in where the mob pulled Joseph Smith out of his bed at night and tarred and feathered him. 




The amazing story about that room is after they tarred and feathered him, and even tried to poison him, the Prophet walked back to the house and that night they scraped all the tar off of him and in the morning he preached to a congregation of 150 on the front steps of that house. There were people from the mob there that didn't expect him to show up and were hoping he wouldn't, but he did and taught a powerful lesson. The Prophet even converted some of the men that tried to kill him.


Man, when I stood there on that hallowed ground my testimony was strengthened beyond belief. I know that Joseph Smith is a true Prophet. I know that the Book of Mormon that I study and share with all I meet is a true book of the Doctrine of Jesus Christ our Savior, our Redeemer. I'm so glad that I'm here to share the Gospel with the people of Ohio. I don't think I could find a more joyful thing in my life.

After that time in the Johnson home we had an awesome activity called Zoned Out! Three Zones from half of the mission got together and played games. We played trivia games on our knowledge of Preach My Gospel, Scriptures, Church History and Missionary rules. Then after that we had an awesome relay race between the three zones. Needless to say our zone won. We had a dramatic come from behind victory (we planned it that way... OK not really). My part of the relay was to eat a cup of dirt and worms! No,  not real dirt and worms, but crushed up Oreos and gummy worms. Between my companion and me we caught our zone up then pulled ahead. We killed it after that! But it was just a fun competition plus I guess we can’t be too proud because we were against the Kirtland Zone which is almost all Sisters. It was a lot of fun and we got to see so many other missionaries that are our friends so it was great!











Mom. That's awesome that Shannon and Marlene are there helping and visiting. I really hope you don't break Shannon. I miss you guys so much and can’t wait to hear more next week.

Dad and Kina, Thanks for the package with the protein bars in it and the pictures. I only got it yesterday because the mission office staff was there at Hyrum to bring it to me

Aunt Susan, Thanks so much for the words encouragement and love! I'm happy that the AZ family is up visiting with you guys!

Jed, I'm so happy to hear that you’re going to seminary.  I went to seminary yesterday too!  It was awesome. I remember how I felt after I had seminary every day. It was always the best way to start the day! I hope your finding joy in reading the scriptures. I know how important that it is the have that time everyday to study. I only get an hour which probably sounds like a lot, but to me it’s not even close to enough I find myself eating lunch fast so that I have extra time to study! I'm so glad to hear that you’re starting to feel the Spirit in your life. I hope your committing now to serve a mission. It’s a process and if you start now you will be so much more prepared.

Grandpa and Grandma, It’s so amazing to ready some of your stories. I have been keeping a journal almost every day. I hope one day I can share my stories with my children and grandchildren and they can be a source of comfort and joy and direction as your stories are to me.

We call this the "White Rhino"!
 Well it’s time to get back to work! I love every one of you and I hope you all stay strong in the gospel and love each other. I would challenge everyone to pick up their Book of Mormons and begin to read it again. Also study in the Doctrine and Covenants and find the ones that are direct revelation given in Kirtland and in Hyrum. Remember I've been there and I know there spirit that is in those rooms and I know those are true doctrines that came from those rooms.
With so much love from your son, grandson, nephew and brother
Elder Yukish

Oh p.s. the address here is
Elder Yukish
123 17th St NW APT# 2
Canton, OH 44703

It’s going to change but not as soon as we thought. I'll let you know when it does.

1 comment:

  1. Great letter!! Sounds like he is already doing a lot of good work there. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on Jordan's progress.

    ReplyDelete